Directors & Editors Guild of NZ invites editors to apply for a Feature Documentary Editing Masterclass in Auckland with American editor Doug Blush.
Doug Blush is a multi award-winning editor who has worked on over 50 feature documentaries and TV programmes, and has been nominated five times for Best Editing at the Sundance Film Festival. His recent credits include Oscar-winning theatrical hit 20 Feet From Stardom, which won him an ACE Eddie Award for Best Documentary Editing. With wife Lisa Klein, Doug co-directed Of Two Minds and follow-up film The S Word.
The Masterclass will consist of two separate days on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 March.
Day One: Interactive Seminar
Doug will deliver an interactive seminar on character, story and message for up to a total of 20 participants. Editors are welcome to bring their directors along on the day.
Topics covered on Day One will include:
- The Documentary/Narrative “wall” and how to break it
- Beginning a documentary and editing strategies for laying out a narrative
- Developing characters with true arcs and growth
- Tapping into narrative story elements for documentary
- Ending your film by considering story and message
Day Two: Project Consultation for up to 6 projects
Doug will run a project consultation on Day Two for up to 6 selected feature documentary projects. Editors are invited to submit their project currently in post-production for feedback.
Selected participants will be required to bring 10-15 minutes of their project in QuickTime format for class discussion and feedback, and must be comfortable with sharing their projects in a confidential environment. Selected editors are welcome to bring their directors on the day.
Cost: DEGNZ members free, Non-members $100 – selected editors can bring their director for free.
When: Saturday 18 March, 9am – 5pm & Sunday 19 March, 9am – 4pm.
Where: TBC, Auckland
Lunch will be provided each day.
Travel assistance may be available for DEGNZ members coming from out of Auckland.
TO APPLY please send your application in ONE PDF to email@example.com with ‘Doug Blush Masterclass’ in the subject line.
In your application, please provide:
- links to samples of your work
- a maximum one-page letter stating why you should be selected. Please indicate if you would like your director to attend with you.
- To apply for the project consultation on Day Two, please also provide a brief synopsis of your feature documentary project that is currently in post-production.
Application Deadline: 9am, Monday 6 March.
This event is brought to you with the support of the New Zealand Film Commission.
Last updated on 21 February 2018