In general, the Internet offers many opportunities to collect information about the users of websites. This information can be personally identifiable information or aggregated information. However at The Directors & Editors Guild of Aotearoa New Zealand (DEGNZ), your privacy is important to us and we want to be sure that you understand the terms and conditions relating to the way in which we collect information and the use of that information.
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner provides further details of the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects personal information in New Zealand.
- The information we collect
The Directors & Eidtors Guild of Aotearoa New Zealand Incorporated operates the website www.deganz.co.nz. As part of our operations, we may gather certain types of information about the users of our sites:
Personally Identifiable Information
This is provided by you when you register for services that we may offer. Examples of these services could include email newsletters or events. Providing this information will always be optional for you. However, some services may not be available to you if you choose not to provide it.
This information is generated by our systems as they track traffic through our sites. This information does not identify you personally and is not linked to the personally identifiable information that you may have provided.
- Who we share this information with
Information on our website is hosted with an Internet service provider. Our agreements with them protect the information that we collect from any unauthorised use.
Aggregated data (not the personally identifiable information) may be shared with third parties such as advertisers or business partners.
Your personally identifiable information such as your email address and name may be shared with third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law; otherwise, we will only share your personal identity details when we have obtained your prior permission to share those details with specified third parties.
- What else do we do with personally identifiable information?
We collect this information in order to provide the best possible service to you while you are visiting our sites. To this end we may use the information that you provide for the following purposes:
- To verify your identity if you need help with a forgotten password or you are having login problems with one of our site services
- To process any financial transactions that you might make on our site
- To help provide any other services that you have requested
- To offer you the most relevant information suitable to you and your interests
- For any marketing, promotional, publicity or market research that we, The Big Idea might undertake within The Big Idea community.
- For any other purposes for which you have given permission.
- What about cookies?
A cookie is a small file that resides on your computer and is recognised by our server when you visit our sites. A cookie does not provide us with any personally identifiable information. It does provide details of your IP address, the computer platform that you use (e.g. Mac or Windows), the browser that you use (e.g. Microsoft Explorer or Firefox) and what domain you are accessing our sites from. With this information we can do the following:
- Track traffic patterns to our site
- Ensure that the most relevant content is being shown
- What about our advertisers and business partners?
- Opting in and opting out
You will always have the option to opt in to certain services and to opt out of those services at any stage. This means you may change your mind at any stage about participating in any of our member services.
- Your right to access your information
The Privacy Act of 1993 gives you the right to access and correct your personal information. To find out more about how to do this, please contact us at DEGANZ by email firstname.lastname@example.org